Skip to main content

Scammers

I have been thinking a lot about how I am easy to scam (see previous post). My hopes are high that people mean what they say or have good intentions at the core. The truth is, that’s really rare. And I often get bit in the ass for putting trust in people. My former roomie told me he would give me 2 month’s notice when he expected to move in with his girlfriend and that it wouldn’t be for a while. A couple weeks later, he told me he was moving in November. At the time, it was September 10, and tomorrow, October 9, all of his things will be moved out by movers. And in the last month, he has been very touchy about his things being out of place. He also has not spent the night here or been around when I’m home, maybe once or twice that I can recall. I’ve been feeling isolated and like I’m sitting in a space that could change drastically overnight without being told, cause things started disappearing while I was away from home. The first things to go were the only things he shared with me. It wasn’t feeling like my space anymore when I’ve done a tone of painting and hanging shelves over the last year. I moved a poster that belonged to him, along with some of my posters, to the floor leaning against furniture because at the time I wasn’t sure if I would also need to move and should start taking down fixtures and filling holes, painting, and making the place ready for the next tenant. Apparently, he held a grudge against me for that for weeks but didn’t tell me until yesterday. At another point, I asked if I could move his bike from the living room to the basement with his other bike. He gave a firm “no” and said he doesn’t want me moving his things around. I was surprised by that response, but I respected and didn’t move his bike. He has since accused me of moving his bike and his “things.” Yesterday, the 7th, I realized a lot of our kitchen belongings were still very mixed together in cabinets so I started to organize and separate them, to avoid my things getting packed up with his unintentionally. He came through the apartment while I was at work and texted me to say I broke a cup and he didn’t consent to me moving his things. I’m in a place where he’s treating me like I’m deliberately inconveniencing him. When I got home from work, he had left shards of glass on the countertop. I’m nearly convinced he broke the cup, but blames me cause I moved the glasses from the cabinet to the countertop directly below without asking first. I addressed the broken glass and told him I felt his energy toward me change and I don’t understand why. He said I was wrong about his energy changing, and then he unloaded a list of reasons he is upset with me. All the while, I am saving up twice the cost of rent for one person here so I can buy time searching for someone to take his room. I’m literally skipping grocery store trips and I took a weekend job to save up. It took me over a year and a half to find this place, this arrangement that was okay for someone else to live with me and three cats. I’ve been here a year and two months now and I’m back on the search. I’ve had people come look, or text back and forth and then disappear. I’m trying to find a fit but I know it could take some time. This is all right at the shift into the hardest season for me to find and secure income. There’s so much lack of consideration happening and I’m literally panicking. He accused me of putting his poster where my cats can pee on it (which has never happened!) and said it has a value of $400. I’m taken by surprise by how he is handling this, and tonight he is spending the night here with his girlfriend (no communication with me at all, just for me to find out on my own) for the first time in over a month. The energy is very tip-toey as if I’m a landmine. He has come and gone as he has a right to do since he paid for his last month already, but I’m being treated like a conniving person who can’t be trusted in my own space. It’s crazy-making and it’s creating a clearer picture about his intentions for moving here. It’s his life, and it seems to be working out for him. Yet I feel scammed and hurt and I know things will work out, but it’s really hard to find the light in this situation. He has leniency to move whenever, but he gave me very little preparation and he’s treating me like I am out of line for having a reaction at all to a situation I was forced into. We had one text conversation about it where all he did was point the finger and I didn’t react, and he said we should not talk again until after he is moved out. I feel really isolated and cornered, fucked over. I have been dealing with this the best way I know how while I’m activated and unsure about the future. I have a strong feeling that he wouldn’t put any of his friends in this situation and that’s where I fit in. I wish I could have been considered more in this and I wish for myself a promising living situation and lots of painting work ahead so I can feel secure. More love, more hope, less gaslighting and less fatigue. Please.

Comments